“Won’t you also go and learn this contouring thing?” A question we never would have been asked by our parents a decade ago when the only jobs we were to aspire to were either in medicine law or finance.
Makeup artistry has become one of the most desirable jobs of our time. The circle of beauty influencers, the freebies and private brand events, it is no wonder a lot of us have ditched our calculator for contour brushes.
Perks of the job:
* Cosmetic brand endorsements, this is an opportunity to work with brands in creating new collections and products. An example is Amrezy’s new highlighter with Anastasia Beverly Hills.
* Creative collaborative projects working with the best photographers and stylists on set with celebrity clients Example Sir Johns involved in Beyoncé’s glam squad
* No day is the same. As an artist, you are in control of the way you express yourself. If you follow Mario Dedivanovic on Instagram, you’ll get this point.
As the title of an MUA is a popular one, of course there is a lot of competition to be the next biggest talent about.
How to survive in the makeup club:
- Stand out by creating your own distinct signature
- Whether this is done in the way you present your work post shoot, your choice of product placement or direction in beauty make sure it is well thought out and captivating.
- Most importantly, have fun! There are lots of opportunities still to be explored.
Submitted by: Tracy Grabs
Editorial Makeup Artist & Hairstylist